Wowed in GoldFood, Impeccable Service, and Retreat
The Fairmont Hotels around the world are known as higher-end hotels appealing to professionals and large groups. This month I traveled to Dallas, Texas for the first time and spent two nights at the Fairmont Dallas. The hotel recently celebrated 50 years in Dallas having first opened in the remarkable year of 1969, but its the introduction to their new Gold Floor and Lounge that wowed me. Located on the 18th floor of the hotel, the Gold Lounge is where guests staying in the Gold Rooms can go to retreat, work, feast, and relax while classical music plays overhead and spectacular city views surround you.
With a corner “gold” room and a king size bed on the 19th floor, my room has stunning views of the city. As an added perk of staying on the Gold Floor, at 4pm the day we arrived there would be wine and canapés available in the Gold Lounge. Eager to explore, the hotel is stocked with interesting updates including the recent renovation of their pool. Located on the Terrace level, the pool has been designed in an elongated rectangle, in the vein of an infinity pool, extending beyond the visual horizon, looking out onto the cityscape with ample lounge chairs, cabanas, and an outside bar where you can order cocktails and food from the hotel restaurant. Guests of all ages filled the crystal blue pool in the peak of June heat, and it was the ideal escape.
The Gold Lounge is the perfect refuge. With an impressive selection of bites from salmon cakes to stuffed potatoes, fresh crudités, hummus, vegetable dip, house made tortilla chips and salsa, charcuterie and cheese, fresh fruits and pastries and breads, the afternoon spread is enough to fill you up. The Gold Floor lounge also includes a selection of spirits and mixers, and wine and beer all available with their honor bar. Yes, an honor bar. A stack of Fairmont designed stationary lay beside the drinks and guests can pour as they please, leave their name and room numbers and have a seat at a table or walk across the lounge to the couches and chairs, and settle in (there is even the option of watching some TV on the comfy sofa). Each evening during our stay, dessert and wine was also served from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m.
When the sun rises, the Gold Lounge is also where guests with access can go for a beautiful breakfast that includes mixers for mimosas and Bloody Mary’s, and a spread of fresh pastries, berries and parfaits, eggs, bacon, sausage, and the fixings, and a gourmet dish prepared daily by the in-house chef. There is also Starbucks coffee available all day, every day, an endless supply of cold water bottles—sparkling and flat, sodas and juices. However, the service on the Gold Floor is what makes it different from the rest. It offers that extra something and it impresses thanks to the floor staff, Kenetra and Desiré. Kenetra was there most of our stay and is the most gracious, kind, intelligent, conversational young woman. A Dallas local, her poise and thoughtfulness impressed, and her attention to detail was so appreciated. Desirée was there each morning and while I worked in the lounge area, she was always there with a smile on her face, and loads of suggestions on fun things to do. She was equally incredible.
The Fairmont Hotel is centrally located. It is a three-minute walk to the Dallas Museum of Art, the Grassy Knoll and the JFK, Jr. Museum, an easy trip to the arts district, Deep Ellum, and close to downtown. When you’re there, I highly recommend booking a room on the Gold Floor. You won’t be disappointed.
INCLUDED GOLD ROOM AMENITIES
- Complimentary coffee, tea or orange juice with morning wake-up call
- Bose soundsystem with iPod docking station
- Complimentary mail services upon arrival
- Private check-in/check-out
- Access to an exclusive concierge service Monday – Thursday from 6:30 am – 9:00 pm, Friday from 6:30am-10:00pm, Saturday from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm, and Sunday from 7:00am – 9:00 pm.
- Deluxe Breakfast served in Fairmont Gold Lounge on Monday – Friday from 6:30 am to 10:00 am, Saturday – Sunday and public holidays from 7:00 am to 11:00 am.
- Daily honor bar from 12:00 noon to 9:00 pm
- Nightly Hors D’Oeuvres from 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- Nightly Desserts served on Sunday-Thursday from 7:00pm-9:00pm, Friday and Saturday from 7:00pm-10:00pm.
- Keurig single serve coffer maker in rooms
- Complimentary high-speed internet/wireless access both in the guest rooms and in the Fairmont Gold Lounge
- Upgraded bathroom amenities
- Rainfall shower head
- Nightly turn down service