Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
#KnowSoupForYouThis soup is one of my favorites! It is so simple to make and makes your home smell like the season. Butternut squash is one of the healthiest winter vegetables available. Starchy veggies have been wrongly scrutinized because they contain many carbohydrates. In truth, they are high in dietary fiber and contain essential antioxidants that feed your brain and muscles, and even fuel your metabolism, hence the ability maintain – or lose- weight. Go ahead, squash that squish!
1 butternut squash, seeded and cubed
1 sweet apple, cored and cubed
1 yellow onion, diced
3 (or to taste) garlic, minced
1/2 stick of butter, melted
32oz vegetable, or chicken broth
10 leafs (or to taste), fresh sage
Salt and pepper to taste
Served on top of individual servings add 2 tablespoons coconut milk or ground nutmeg to taste.
Make sure that your knives are sharp. Chop squash into cubes 1-2 inch thick to bake evenly and blend them easily.
Optional substitutes and add-ins
- Substitute squash with 1 fairy-tale pumpkin. Yes, that’s really it’s name.
- Substitute butter with 4 tablespoons coconut oil.
- Substitute sage with fresh allspice leaf.
- Substitute coconut milk with heavy whipping cream.
- To get that extra holiday kick: add ground cinnamon or clove to taste.
- If you’re feeling spicy: add paprika, cayenne, or curry powder to taste.
Ready. Set. HOW.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Peel and cube squash: To cube: cut off ends, slice down lengthwise, remove seeds, chop into cubes
- Place cubed squash into an oven-ready dish: Pour melted butter (or coconut oil over squash) season with pepper
- Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour (depending on size): Half way through, rotate once over
- Preheat a large pot on medium heat: Add 1 tablespoon of oil or butter
- Sauté onion, garlic, apple, and sage leaves for 3-5 minutes
- Add chicken broth and roasted squash, Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat, simmer for 5 minutes
- Blend to desired consistency. Add any additional seasonings of choice
- Optional: Top individual servings with a spoonful of coconut milk
Having seconds is encouraged!